Sunday, July 29, 2012

New (School) Year Resolutions - Linky Party

Amanda over at Teaching Maddeness had the best idea today! Don't get me wrong, her ideas are normally fantastic, but this one was something that I really loved! She is hosting a linky party all about New Year Resolutions. However, she wants us to make them for the school year!

Now, I love New Year's Resolutions. I make them religiously every year. I blog about them. I put them on Facebook. I harass my boyfriend until he makes at least one good resolution that he thinks he can stick to. I love them. I'm really excited about doing this because 1) it gives me a reason to make them in the middle of the calendar year and 2) I can make resolutions that are completely school-centered. Yay! :)



This school year, I hope to...

Resolution #1: Make all copies (at least) one day before I need them. I had a bad habit last year of making copies at the last second and would be in a panic in the morning. Occasionally, I hate to admit, I would be waiting on my last 20 copies while I was on duty at the bathrooms (making sure students didn't sneak in there in the morning). This year, it will be better...even if that means I stay at work a little longer to make it happen.

Resolution #2: Grade papers for 15+ minutes a day (Monday - Thursday). I tend to let grading get out of hand. This year, with the shift to the Common Core, the students are going to be writing a LOT. This requires almost immediate feedback on what they are writing. Not just "good job" or "great work" but real, specific critiques and praise based on their work. In order to give the students what they need, I'm going to have to grade daily. 

Resolution #3: Weekends are reserved for family time. No school work from Friday at 4 pm until 8 pm on Sunday, if I have to do anything at all. I'd like to work really hard Monday through Thursday so that I don't have to spend my weekend with work. I need a life of my own outside of my job and I think that, if I stay on top of everything, I'll be alright :)

Resolution #4: FlyLady rules apply to the classroom. At the end of the school year, I spent a good amount of time creating a School Control Journal. It has all of my routines, cleaning zones, etc. in it waiting on me to come back in August. I want to use it every day. I know that it will be helpful if I do use it. My life will feel less chaotic if I use it. I will use it.

Resolution #5: For every negative phone call, e-mail, or note that I sent to a parent, I must send a positive one. I feel like so much of my parent contact was negative last year and that's not a good thing. I need to get a handle on my classroom management and then spend just as much time praising as punishing.


So there you have it. Five reasonable goals that I plan to stick to all year. I'm sure I will post and tell you how it is going as the year progresses.

What are your resolutions? Link up! 

XOXO

4 comments:

  1. Resolution #5 is a good one. I also need to work on that!

    I found your blog on the New School Year's Resolution Linky and am your newest follower.

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I liked that resolution too! If you found me on the Linky Party, I assume that you linked up too! I'm going right now to read your resolutions!

    --A

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE #5!! I tried and tried to get ahold of a parent this year to tell her a about a great moment with her son. He had just realized that HE COULD READ!! He was so stoked! When I finally got ahold of her she said, "What did he do?" I was so glad to be able to give her the great news and know that this family might have a better evening because of it!

    Margaret
    Kinder Journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret - I know! I'm so excited. I know that a positive phone call can make as big of an impact on a parent and student as a negative phone call! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a wonderful comment on my blog! I want to know who's reading and what you think about what I have to say.

I will respond to every comment ASAP! Thanks! XOXO