Friday, July 20, 2012

Crocheted Blankets

As some of you may know, I'm a crocheter. I love it. I tried to knit but I realized that I was not being rewarded for my time and effort fast enough with knitting. Plus, it was REALLY frustrating to me. Crocheting gave me more bang for my buck. Maybe not literally, but it was definitely nice to see how much I had done in a short amount of time.

The first thing that I had ever crocheted was a blanket. I know, I know, most people start with something smaller - a scarf, mittens, a hat, - but I am an overachiever. With the help of a college friend, B, I began to crochet. It was difficult at first but I was quick to catch on. Before I knew it, I had finished my first blanket.

Not bad for a beginner, eh?

Anyway, I went on to make another blanket and became bored with that. Then, I learned to make hats, scarves, mittens, coasters (wanna do a quick project? make coasters!)

Here's my most recent project - a Rockingham Middle School blanket:

I've gotten a lot better...and my "hills" and "valleys" all match up now. That is something that I struggled with in the beginning. Anyway, here is the pattern that I'm using. This is very similar to the one that B taught me...with modifications on when to switch colors!

Chevron Tri-Color Blanket

Chain 184 (single chain).

Two single-chains and turn.

Double crochet in the next 3 single chains. Skip one single chain.

Double crochet (dc) in the next 8 single chains (sc). In the 9th single chain, dc 3 in the same sc.

Dc in the next 8 sc. Skip two sc and dc in the third sc.

Repeat across row.

For every other row, the pattern is similar.

Dc in first 4 dc, skip 1 dc, dc in next 8 dc, 3 dc in next dc, dc in next 8 dc, skip 2 dc, dc in next dc, repeat across row.

At end of row, do 2 sc and turn.

Continue creating new rows until you have the desired length. For my blanket, I used my first color (orange) until I had created 5 rows of dc. Then, I tied the black onto the end of my 5th row and created 5 more dc rows. I tied on white next and did 5 more rows of dc. I repeated with orange, then black, then white, until I got the desired length for the blanket.

Tip: as you crochet, you may want to rely more on the look (where the hill is and where the valley is) more so than the number of dc you've done. That helps to create a prettier blanket than relying on numbers alone.


Let me know if you decide to give this a try! :)

--Andi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a wonderful comment on my blog! I want to know who's reading and what you think about what I have to say.

I will respond to every comment ASAP! Thanks! XOXO