Friday, July 20, 2012

Aurora, CO.

In case you are completely cut off from all media outlets, let me fill you in on the latest tragedy this world has to offer us. Aurora, CO was the site of a violent attack this morning. At approximately 12:30 AM, a packed movie theater was enjoying the midnight premiere of The Dark Knight Rises - the latest in a long string of Batman movies. Among these movie-goers were a 3 month-old infant and a 6 year old child. At one point, these innocent people saw a silhouette of a man pointing a gun at the crowd. From the posts that I've read, the victims did not instantly realize that this man was NOT part of the movie. It was only when he started shooting at the audience did they realize that he was a REAL person shooting REAL bullets at them. This sad, sad event ended with 12 dead and at least 50 injured. Among the injured are both children that I mentioned earlier. The 3 month old infant was shot. 

I cannot even begin to imagine what was going through the mind of this 24 year-old man as he pulled a gun on a crowded movie theater. I can't imagine the reactions of the audience. I am deeply disturbed by the events that took place this morning and am at a loss for words. All I can think about through all of this is my child. When Christian grows up, how do I explain to him that there are some people in this world who are evil, evil men? How do I tell my child that, while he might be surrounded with Godly men and women, the devil has his own minions operating all around us? I'm scared for him and I'm scared for me. When a man can waltz into a movie theater with a handgun, knife, and a rifle and just start shooting, you begin to wonder about the state of the world that we live in. I fear for those who are not saved by the grace of the Lord. 

I've been looking at scripture on and off all day to try and find peace in this dark time. I know that this event did not affect me directly but it has affected something inside of me. I wanted to share some of these verses with you and I wanted to have a place to write them down so that I can look back on them in times of darkness and despair.


"He sent His word and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions." (Psalm 107:20)

"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his His benefits: who forgives all your iniquities; who heals all your diseases..." (Psalm 103:2)

"Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all. He guards all his bones; not one of them is broken." (Psalm 34:19)

"'For I will restore health to you and heal you of your wounds,' says the Lord." (Jeremiah 30:17)

"The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." (John 10:10)

"When evening had come, they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed. And He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were sick." (Matthew 8:16)

"Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray." (James 5:13)

"The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." (James 5:16)

"Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." (Hebrews 4:16)

"So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Romans 10:17)

"Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them." (Mark 11:24)

"The Lord is far from the wicked, but He hears the prayers of the righteous." (Proverbs 15:29)


These are just some of the verses that I have read today and they all are helping me to cope. The more I read them, the more at peace I feel. Maybe they will help some of you who are struggling today whether it is due to the Aurora shooting or because of something else in your life.

--Andi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a wonderful comment on my blog! I want to know who's reading and what you think about what I have to say.

I will respond to every comment ASAP! Thanks! XOXO