Monday, July 30, 2012

My Very 1st Monday Made It!

So, I keep seeing these Monday Made It posts everywhere! Everyone is linking up with 4th Grade Frolics so, I reckon I will too! :)



I've recently begun DIYing EVERYTHING for my classroom. It's so much cheaper than buying things and it's a lot of fun as well. I'm a really crafty person and love to make things. I just had never thought of taking that into my classroom (which is strange because I feel like a classroom is supposed to be DIY, right?).

Last week, I posted my DIY To-Do Lists with instructions! Here is another picture of those along with a link to the original post!


I have been admiring this teacher's toolbox that I keep seeing all over Pinterest. Lately, it's been making it's way all over my friends' blogs. Now, it's my turn.

Here is the finished product:


Cute, right? I love it. It is going to be so wonderful to get all of this stuff out of my desk drawer and organized. Best of all, it is absolutely precious. I'll be proud to display this in my room!

Alright, now time for the how-to!

I went to Lowe's (Ugh, how I hate that store) and finally got someone to help me find this storage container. Next time, I'm just ordering online and picking it up at my store. That way, it'll be ready for me when I get there. No searching for someone to help me...only to have them send me on a wild goose chase...and be kinda snotty too...(ok, rant over).

The toolbox was only $16.47 at Lowe's. It's called a Stack-On 22 Drawer Storage Cabinet (in case you're looking for it). I hear that they also carry them at Home Depot. :)

Other than the toolbox, you'll need:
  • glue
  • Scotch tape
  • scrapbook paper
  • colored cardstock
  • scissors
  • a printer
Here is the template for the labels. (Drawer LabelsI printed one page of them on one color cardstock. I printed the second page on a second color that went well with the first color. Then, I cut them out and made the larger boxes look pretty by adding a strip of scrapbook paper to the labels (this is where you'll use the glue).

To stick the labels on the drawers, I used Scotch tape. You can't see the tape and it works fine. (Make sure you stick the label on the inside of the drawer.)

After that was done, it was time to do the handles to the drawers. I did this the same way. I cut strips of scrapbook paper and taped it underneath the little handles. You can't see the tape and it holds the paper in place.

I plan to spray paint the box itself black. They only have this in blue. I have the spray paint that is made for plastic. This means that I don't have to sand or prime anything! Just spray it on and let it dry. It's also supposed to be non-toxic paint. Woo Hoo! :)

I spray painted it black and then coated it with a layer of Mod Podge for a sealant! Here is what it looks like now that it is black! I'm much happier now that it's black!



Ta-da! We have a toolbox! :) Lucky me, I only had to buy the toolbox. I had everything else around the house! :)

Here is the link to the blog where I originally found the instructions! Create. Teach. Share.


I also went ahead and tackled my Student Intervention Box. Here is how that turned out:




How-to:
  • Create your labels. I made these really fun labels on PicMonkey. It's free. All I needed was a blank jpg file. I used one that was 2550x3300 pixels (which is the equivalent of an 8.5x11 piece of paper). 
  • I then added a few labels in black and white, four flower icons, and my text. 
  • I printed them out as 5x7s through Picasa (which is awesome and also free!).
  • Then, I cut them evenly using my paper slicer.
  • I put a thin layer of Mod Podge on the surface that I was sticking the label to and then laid down the label, making sure to smooth out all air bubbles. 
  • I waited until that was dry and added a layer of Mod Podge on top of the label as a sealant. It dries clear so it doesn't matter that I put it over the black parts too!
The pictures above are my finished product! I'm going to use this as a place to store my student behavioral interventions. With 70+ kids, it'll be nice to have a separate area for this!


If you have any questions, please, please, please leave a comment. I will answer you!

Enjoy! XOXO

16 comments:

  1. Love your student intervention box. That turned out very classy looking and organized. Your toolbox also looks very beautiful. Super professional looking! :) Great job on everything!

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am a slight perfectionist...so it's hard when things don't turn out PERFECT. At least it all still looks good! :)

    --Andi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the teacher toolbox. I love mine! It's my favorite Monday Made It project (after my laundry room!) I can't wait to fill mine up. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I think I fixed that follower thing. I'm a new follower.

    Megan
    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your projects all look great! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm following you and off to check out your blog!

    Vicky
    Keep Calm & Imagine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!!! I hope you enjoy the rest of the blog!

    --A

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your teacher's toolbox. I have wanted to make one. Now I can and much more easily since you included the templates. Thank you so much.

    Sue

    A Rainbow of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue - I'm glad I was able to help you! I was lucky that they were already created for me! Hope I'll get to see your toolbox for the next Monday Made It!!!

    --Andi

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made some cute stuff this week. :)

    I have a black file box just like the one you are using for your interventions. I'm wondering what I can use mine for? Hmmm.... I'll be teaching 5th and 6th US history next year. Any ideas?

    Today I used it to take our 7 puppies to have their tails docked but I'm thinking I won't need it for that again anytime soon! :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shannon - You could still use your file box for interventions (like I am planning to do). I know that interventions are usually done in lower grades but I'm sticking to behavior interventions - name on board, silent lunch for # of days, detention, referral, etc. and why. I found that they took up valuable space in my file cabinet and I needed them closer at hand.

    Also, you could keep all of your current unit's materials in there - lesson plans, resources, activities, etc. Keep it all on hand at your desk so that you can just pull what you need out and move on!

    Last idea - use it as your student files. Parent contact logs, IEPs/504s, any documentation on a child, work that you need to keep, etc.

    Hope I helped! :)

    -Andi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andi-

    Thanks for all of those suggestions! I always like to bounce things off of other teachers-it helps my brain work better. :)

    I think I might use it for student info, papers to grade, etc. Sort of my go between for home and school. I had wanted a tote from 31, but why spend money when I already have something that works?? :)

    Less than 3 weeks away....

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andi,

    Stopping by to reply to your comment about my laminator. :) I got mine at Walmart for about $27. There aren't any cartridges to change. You just have to buy the laminating pouches. I got a pack of 50 pouches for $15.

    I'm following your blog now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shannon - now, I wouldn't trade my 31 tote for the world! IT CARRIES EVERYTHING!!! I used it all last year (I want a new one because mine is coffee-stained thanks to my child...he knocked it out of my hand and onto my bag. My students got back coffee covered work...lol) I still highly recommend that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andi,

    It will laminate a letter size paper...that's the widest it can do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! Thank you for answering all of my questions, Mrs. D! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am also so excited to find another middle school teacher! I too have made the teacher toolbox and so excited to get to use it! I didn't think to glue the tabs underneath, DUH! Mine are on top and a pain.
    ~Amy
    Sixth Grade Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amy - I didn't know if I would be able to actually get them to stay underneath! I had to fiddle with it over and over to get it to work. I used clear tape to get it to stay! Lol!

    --Andi

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a wonderful comment on my blog! I want to know who's reading and what you think about what I have to say.

I will respond to every comment ASAP! Thanks! XOXO