Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Overwhelmed...

My state has switched curricula this year. We have now adopted the Common Core (as have most other states). I am stressing out. I understand the standards. I get what I'm supposed to be teaching. I'm pretty well-versed in my content area. This week has been incredibly easy so far. I'm planning next week, and I am so frustrated!

I'm trying to develop this compare/contrast essay for my students. That's where we've decided that we're heading...but I don't feel comfortable with it. I'm not sure why. I just feel like...something's not quite right with the essay. I can't put my finger on it. I know that it will work...but I think it's going to be less of an essay and more of a....compare these characters in a two-three paragraph response, thing. Introduction, definitely. One paragraph on comparing and one on contrasting the characters. I'm not really sure it's going to be a full blown essay. I'm ok with that. It's the 2nd week of school. I hope my teammates are ok with that too. I get to talk to them about it in the morning. I'm just honestly not really sure how to teach it this way. Last year, I did plenty of writing....and I felt incredibly comfortable with it. I just feel so much pressure with this essay and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the new standards? Maybe it's the fact that it's so early in the year? I don't know. All I do know is that I'm stressing. Bad.

Ugh. It's almost my bedtime. I haven't had time to keep up with my blog. I'm feeling guilty about that...but I still love it and read other blogs when I can.

I'm going to try and plan a few more pieces of this writing assignment and then I'm going to bed. I need to go toss and turn for at least 6-7 hours so that I can pretend that I got some sleep and go to work tomorrow feeling "rested" (rest? what's that?)

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a wonderful comment on my blog! I want to know who's reading and what you think about what I have to say.

I will respond to every comment ASAP! Thanks! XOXO