Thursday, April 4, 2013

NaPoWriMo: Day 4

Cheating today! This is a poem I wrote while in college for Intro. to Poetry Writing class. One of my favorite classes in college!

"Where I'm From"

I am from rolling hills and farmlands,
from drag races and Friday Night Lights
Where you'll hear the occasional, "That's ma boy!"
or maybe even see grown men throwing punches.

I am from the ashes of bonfires past.
Celebrating end of school or the return of
a loved one from a war, never ending,
and kind faces of those who light the fires once more.

I am from bars and saloons.
Loud country music in the air,
always playing on and on.
Drowning out the troubles of the day
with a pint or two of whatever's on tap that night.

I'm from warm, home-cooked meals -
fried chicken, rice, and gravy -
and lazy Sunday afternoons.
I'm from traditional homes,
traditional Southern values,
and sweet tea and biscuits.
Never changing with the times.

I'm from, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it,"
and, "oh darlin', bless your heart."
I'll never forget hearing those phrases repeated
for years and years
My family - a broken record.

I'm from Hudson Brothers and Richmond Pines,
from roads leading to big towns
and the adventures within them.
From the pecan trees at Papa's house
where we'd play hide and seek,
and the metal jungle gym in the park
where Ryan fell and broke his collarbone
and scared us half to death.

I'm from behind the red door
on a neighborhood street
where children can be found playing in their yards.
Travel up the wooden stairs,
into the room with burgundy and grey walls...

That's where I'm from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a wonderful comment on my blog! I want to know who's reading and what you think about what I have to say.

I will respond to every comment ASAP! Thanks! XOXO