Sunday, May 31, 2015

Week 1 Journal - LIB 5060

Testing my cultural sensitivity:

I've always thought of myself as relatively sensitive to other cultures. Then, I took this cultural sensitivity test. These were my results:

Score: 67

That put me in this category:

61-89 
 
You are not as culturally sensitive as many people, and if your score is higher than 80 you are basically an insensitive type of person.  This will lead to clashes and short-term friendships.  It will also mean that little things trouble you far more than they should and that you may waste emotional energy on what is really rather insignificant.  It is very likely that you count yourself as someone with high principles, who tends to stick to important things rather than trivia.  If you can get a wider experience of life and greater genuine contact with people, however, your will be more culturally sensitive, and in the end you will feel happier for it.

Not as sensitive as most people. Wow. I do like the part of this that says "you count yourself as someone with high principles, who tends to stick to important things rather than trivia." That's definitely me. 

But wow. I really thought I was more sensitive than that.

Hopefully, throughout this class, I'll grow as a person a little. I know we have to retake this quiz in 5 weeks, so we will see.


Culture in the library:

There is a stereotypical culture in the library, specifically the public library: Cold, quiet, not welcoming, unfriendly, stuffy. That's not a good thing. People don't typically go to the library around here. It's a place that I love going, but people only tend to go there if they need to.

I want to be the kind of librarian that works to change that culture. I remember how excited I used to be when I was a little girl about going to the library. I want all kids (and adults) to be that excited about it. I've learned so much about how to accomplish that in my time at ASU. I just can't wait to implement it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a wonderful comment on my blog! I want to know who's reading and what you think about what I have to say.

I will respond to every comment ASAP! Thanks! XOXO