Monday, July 28, 2014

Flat Tires and Jesus

I'm a firm believer in everything happening for a reason. I'm not always sure what the reason is, but it eventually reveals itself.

Today, I went to lunch with a friend. I haven't been to hang out with this person ever really, but we've been friends since I was 14 or 15. Lunch was great. It was nice to catch up and talk about the past. It's always good to go and relax with a friend. 

On the way home, we got a flat tire. Never, in my life, have I ever gotten a flat tire, been riding with someone who had a flat tire, or anything related to getting a flat tire. I've never seen a tire changed or anything. I've never seen a jack used. This was a totally new experience.

I may not feel comfortable doing it by myself, but I'm a visual learner. Watching Ozzy change that tire made me feel a lot less fear about what I'd do in the same situation. Now, I have a spare tire, of course, but I don't have a jack or anything. I'd still have to call someone...but now that I've experienced it, I'll be a lot calmer, I think.

The Jesus part of the post is directly related to the flat tire. It's been pretty hot outside today. The entire time we were stuck on the side of the road, it was comfortable. The sun ducked behind a thin cloud and it kept it a lot cooler outside than what it had been so far today. There was even a slight breeze that kept me cool. Ozzy was hot, I'm sure, from working so hard...but it had to have been a lot better than working in 95 degree heat with no breeze!

I maintain that it was Jesus. He knew that we'd be stuck. He knew that there would have to be some manual labor today. He kept the breeze blowing and the sun tucked away behind the cloud for us. 

I know it's a small victory to write a post about, but it's important to be so thankful for the little things - like keeping the weather a little cooler when we were stuck trying to change a tire. Like having me stuck with someone who was knowledgeable enough to try to fix the situation and to teach me how to handle it if I had to do it on my own. Like having my sister return a phone call to come and pick me up off the side of the road (when she's had a delayed response in returning phone calls and texts here lately). Having us get a flat on a road my sister knows instead of having it happen somewhere unfamiliar.

This situation could have gone a lot differently, and I, for one, am thankful that God is always in control. He is always looking out for His children...and aren't we blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a wonderful comment on my blog! I want to know who's reading and what you think about what I have to say.

I will respond to every comment ASAP! Thanks! XOXO